Find all the information you need to create and submit your artwork.
For inquiries, please contact your Expand account executive or e-mail us at [email protected].
Submitting your artwork
Files up to 10Mb: can be sent via e-mail to [email protected]
Files over 10Mb: please upload and send your artwork to [email protected] using WeTransfer
Illustrator accepted file formats; PDF/X-4:2008 and AI with all links embedded and fonts outlined.
InDesign accepted file formats; PDF/X-4:2008 and indd with all fonts outlined and all links embedded.
Photoshop accepted file formats; PDF/X-4:2008, TIFF, or PSD.
We do not accept files exceeding 1 GB in size.
For the best results:
- Create artwork in one of the recommended softwares.
- Submit files as high resolution print ready PDF/X-4:2008 files. The default compression settings must be changed to "Do not downsample".
- Leave artwork layer on only. Only include artwork files that are to be printed.
- If artwork spans over multiple panels, it must be submitted in mural format to ensure panel lineup. Avoid having text fall on trim lines. Please contact Expand for custom mural templates.
- Include all Pantone® (Coated and Uncoated) colors in the artwork file as SPOT colors (not process). With the exception of Pantone colors; all other artwork should be submitted in CMYK. Expand does not print in RGB.
- Images should be built at 125-150 DPI at final size. Making files larger than 150 DPI will not improve image quality; only increase the file size.
- Final artwork must have all images embedded and all fonts outlined.
- Do not submit artwork with any layers locked. Locked layers may result in elements of the artwork dropping out.
- If file(s) exceed 1GB please flatten and/or reduce the DPI and save as a TIFF.
- If submitting a PDF exported from InDesign, please follow these steps. Choose File > Export and select the Adobe PDF (Print) format. In the general tab you will select from the Adobe PDF preset drop down > select PDF X/4:2008. In marks and bleeds, select use document bleed settings. Click Export. The bleed settings should be set to the size of the template bleed. Do not check off all printer marks.
Layout using the template:
Do not alter the template. Altering the template can result in artwork that is the incorrect size or incorrect placement. Our graphics team can provide a custom template with exact finishing specifications if a custom size is required.
Place artwork into the artwork layer of the template. It will be the second to last or last layer in the file so that you can still follow template directions.
Most templates are created at 100% size. If templates are a different size it will be in the title of the template.
Artwork must extend to the green bleed line to fill the template including cassette bleed. On most templates the green bleed line is the size of the artboard.
Keep all critical elements such as text and important images within the pink safe area. Anything outside this area maybe stitched through, cut off, or fall outside of the visual area.
We do not recommend having text or images cross multiple Expand GrandFabric panels. Expand cannot guarantee exact panel lineup. If it is required to have images or text cross multiple Expand GrandFabrics please contact your Expand contact, so that we can provide you with a custom mural template. A custom template will allow for the closest possible lineup.
Please be sure to turn off or delete all layers besides the artwork layer before saving your file.
Overall file size
Files that are 1 GB or larger should be reduced in file size prior to being submitted. To reduce overall file size, please ensure all images are between 125-150 DPI and that any unnecessary layers (those that do not contain PANTONE® information) are flattened. For Photoshop files, we recommend flattening and making them into TIFF files with LZW compression. LZW compression is a lossless compression method, which means there is no degradation when saving the file.
Pantone® provides a standardized system of color matching. We recommend using Pantone® colors to ensure an accurate match.
If you would like us to match artwork colors, please use the Pantone® color in your file. Do not alter the name of the Pantone® color. Expand only matches to solid coated Pantone® and solid uncoated Pantone®
Pantone® color matching is available for most files. We strongly recommend a printed proof for verification of color.
For more detailed information regarding Pantone® colors please visit www.pantone.com.
For confirmation of color and image quality we offer printed proofs. Each printed proof you order is printed on the substrate your final graphic will be printed on. The printed proof will be a small full graphic and a 100% section of the graphic. For more detailed information such as pricing and turn-around times regarding our printed proofs, please contact your Expand contact.person.
Sample Print or Match Print
You may also choose to provide a sample print or match print, such as a brochure or piece of fabric, so that we have a reference to match to. Please note we cannot color match a gradient or a flattened image. For more detailed information regarding where to send your sample print, please contact your Expand contact person.
Expand Rich Black Color Build: C = 100, M = 100, Y = 80, K = 100.
Both fabrics and inkjet prints require this color build for a rich black. Other color builds are accepted, but we have found this color build produces the best results for our equipment. If this color build is not applied to artwork we cannot guarantee a rich black. Please note a CMYK build of 0, 0, 0, 100 will not print as a true black.
Optimal results in printing are achieved when images are 125-150 DPI at final print size. Images submitted larger than 150 DPI will create large file sizes without a noticeable gain in image quality when viewed at 5-10 feet away.
We strongly recommend against increasing the DPI of images. Increasing the DPI of images typically results in artificial pixels making the image more pixelated and enlarging the file’s size.
As you design your graphic, view all images at 100% of their final size to verify that they will be acceptable to print.
Ordering a custom graphic
For a non-Expand brand of hardware you will need to provide either a template, printed graphic, or the frame so that we may measure it. We will print and trim the final graphic to the exact specifications listed in the order. We cannot be held responsible if the graphics do not fit the hardware unless we have the hardware in hand to test fit.
We can also produce custom graphics per specifications provided in your order. Please contact your Expand contact person for more details.
Download Artwork submission guidlines (pdf)